We went as a family to wave signs last Wednesday at a busy intersection and I have to say I was nervous at first! We had so many people honk and wave and yell "THANK YOU!" We had lots more thumbs up than thumbs down and middle fingers but there was the handful of 20 year olds yelling profanities. I am sad to hear stories of people taking down signs right out of people's yards and throwing things at them while waving signs. I mean c'mon.... I thought the NO crowd was so tolerant! I have learned that tolerance and freedom of speech only go one way I guess. The last 2 mornings Darren has gone out to his car to find a No on 8 sticker over his Yes on 8 sticker. I would never put a sticker on someone else's car! Every No sign I see around the city stays put and I swear I will see a Yes sign, and 1 hr later it will be gone. It just gives me even more reason to vote YES on PROP 8!!!!
Wednesday, October 29, 2008
Yes on Prop 8!
I never considered myself a very political person, in fact I usually have to ask my husband to fill me in on everything going on in the world. But... I have become passionate about protecting marriage and the importance of fighting hard for "YES on Prop 8." I believe the family is central to Heavenly Father's plan for us. Without strong families our society will fail. My faith is strong and I am not willing to have my religious rights taken from me. Marriage between a man and woman is sacred, it is a union with God and has been from the beginning of time. That is why we have marriages in churches and temples. I am a heterosexual. Others are called homosexual. They are different words because they describe different relationships. I am married. Marriage is the word that describes my union. A civil union is the name that describes a homosexual partnership. They are different words because they are DIFFERENT. You cannot change the definition of a word simply because that word doesn't fit your needs. Homosexual couples enjoy the same rights as married couples already.... we are not taking away the rights that they have. Yet, they want to take away my religious rights. I will fight for the right to teach my children the way I want them to be taught. I am not anti-gay, and I respect people no matter what their lifestyle may be. I do however want that same respect in return, and in no way, want my young children to be FORCED to learn about that lifestyle without the right as a parent to say no. Sorry for my soapbox, but this is too important to just stand by and "see what happens."
We went as a family to wave signs last Wednesday at a busy intersection and I have to say I was nervous at first! We had so many people honk and wave and yell "THANK YOU!" We had lots more thumbs up than thumbs down and middle fingers but there was the handful of 20 year olds yelling profanities. I am sad to hear stories of people taking down signs right out of people's yards and throwing things at them while waving signs. I mean c'mon.... I thought the NO crowd was so tolerant! I have learned that tolerance and freedom of speech only go one way I guess. The last 2 mornings Darren has gone out to his car to find a No on 8 sticker over his Yes on 8 sticker. I would never put a sticker on someone else's car! Every No sign I see around the city stays put and I swear I will see a Yes sign, and 1 hr later it will be gone. It just gives me even more reason to vote YES on PROP 8!!!!


We went as a family to wave signs last Wednesday at a busy intersection and I have to say I was nervous at first! We had so many people honk and wave and yell "THANK YOU!" We had lots more thumbs up than thumbs down and middle fingers but there was the handful of 20 year olds yelling profanities. I am sad to hear stories of people taking down signs right out of people's yards and throwing things at them while waving signs. I mean c'mon.... I thought the NO crowd was so tolerant! I have learned that tolerance and freedom of speech only go one way I guess. The last 2 mornings Darren has gone out to his car to find a No on 8 sticker over his Yes on 8 sticker. I would never put a sticker on someone else's car! Every No sign I see around the city stays put and I swear I will see a Yes sign, and 1 hr later it will be gone. It just gives me even more reason to vote YES on PROP 8!!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
That's too bad. Someone put dog poop in front of our sign this morning. I still have YES bumper stickers if anyone wants some.
Hi Emily! I found your blog through Erin Thompson's photography website. Your family is beautiful and you look great! I'm just not used to seeing you with dark hair. I'm busy with my two little ones--Ethan and Emily-- and teaching high school English. Take care!
Lara (Zapalac) Petersen
Post a Comment