Thursday, May 29, 2008

My Little "THUM" Suckers!



I have heard of this stuff you paint on your kids nails to stop the thumb sucking, but I had never tried it..... until yesterday. Ella and Logan are big thumb suckers and I was starting to worry about Ella because she is turning 4 this summer. I know it is affecting her teeth and being the "orthodontic assistant" that I am..... I want her to stop! So I finally went to Target and bought THUM. It's just like a clear nailpolish with an added taste of cayenne pepper extract, citric acid, isopropyl alcohol, acetone and laquer. MMMM sounds tasty! You would think tasting that on your thumb would make you think again about sucking.......... Nope, not Logan.... it didn't even phase him! The little guy just looked at me and sucked away!


He might as well have said, "nice try mom." Then Ella was all excited about being a "big girl" and said she wasn't going to suck her thumb anymore. I was thinking, "this stuff might just work" especially after I saw her face and the way she wiped her tongue with her shirt! Maybe I could really get Ella to stop before her 4th birthday!



We'll keep painting on the "THUM" so wish us luck!


9 comments:

Kristen said...

That is so funny! Trevor sucked his thumb until he was 9!!!! I should have known about that stuff...although it sure is nice when your baby can soothe themself, My thumb sucker and pacifier baby were my best sleepers!

Suzanne said...

Thanks for the tip! I have a thumb sucker too. She never wanted a pacifier only her thumb. I keep thinking I should do something about it. I'll have to give it a try.

Kari and Brian said...

That's funny. I have never heard of the stuff. I never had a thumb sucker only the pacifier so I have no clue about the thumb. Glad you found something that might work with Ella.

Nate and Tasha said...

Do you think that stuff would work for nail biting? Kalli bites her nails and it drives me crazy! That is funny that Logan could care less and Ella didn't like it. I hope it works on Ella, good luck! (Give Logan another 6 mos and I am sure it will work like a charm :)

Emily said...

Best of luck! I might need to dip Olivia's binkie in that!

Emily said...

Tasha~ you should try it on Kalli's nails! It is for thumb sucking and nail biting.

Jenn said...

Emily,

Hey keep working on it while they are young. One of my sister sucked her thumb until she was like 13 or 14. My mom tried the polish and a metal device that was put in her mouth. She somehow got around it. She had to have a lot of work done on her mouth!!!

Nicole said...

Cute pictures, leave it to a boy to think 'oh well, its not so bad' and suck away, very funny & cute. Ella looks cute in those pictures. Good luck!!

HeatherC said...

Ella is so darn cute... I just love her little face!!!